House chimney – operating principle, installation and types
Even if you only light the house chimney at Christmas, you certainly want the fire to go quickly, without smoking and, most importantly, safely. These three conditions can not be fulfilled if during the design of the project it has not been studied, very precisely, the compatible with the chimney and the flue. And what is even more unpleasant in the situation is that this omission can not be corrected later.
Recessed house chimney of modern design
It does not matter how much money you have invested in the coating and design of the house fireplace . If the smoke duct is poorly designed, you should either destroy everything and remake it again, or keep expensive equipment, but completely unusable at home. Here are some important elements that must be considered well before choosing the chimney liner.
Fireplace – general information on the installation of the duct
When installing the firebox, a metal chimney flue must be installed that is at least 1 meter above the roof. It is recommended that it be made of double-layer stainless steel with insulation. If the house has an existing chimney, the firebox must be connected during installation with a stainless steel connecting pipe with a circular section. The accuracy of the geometric fit between the pipe and the house chimney is crucial. In order to seal the joints of the various modules of the metal chimneys, suitable supports or heat-resistant silicone are used. However, the correct and well-made adjustment of the modules remains the most reliable way of sealing connections.
It is advisable to put ventilation grids on the top of the fireplace and below the housing, which allows the hot air to circulate inside the chamber and, in this way:
– generate an additional flow of hot air
– prevent sparks leaking into the room
Built-in fireplace with mosaic coating
The operation of the combustion chamber depends on:
• Compatibility between home fireplace and fireplace.
• Quality of the fuel used.
Over the years, you can change the type of fuel, but once the fireplace is installed in a certain area of the house, it is very difficult to move it. The information below will help you decide if you can use the existing chimney or you have to build a new one.
How does the chimney work?
The main functions of the house fireplace are:
– Guarantee the safe escape of smoke and gases from the building;
– Ensure sufficient draft on the hearth so that the fire does not go out.
What is the draw?
It is the property of hot air to ride and create a draw. When you light the fire, the hot air rises in the pipe and goes out. The chimney flue heats up and maintains the draft. As long as the fireplace and the duct are not well heated, the draft will not be ideal. The size, location and height of the house chimney play on the strength of the draw.
Factors, determining the strength of the draw
The flues, located inside the building, remain hot and generate a larger draft.
The size of the flue recommended by the combustion chamber manufacturers guarantees a good pulling force. There is no need to shrink the diameter of the flues. The height of the chimney affects the strength of the draw: the higher the house chimney, the stronger the draft. The flue must come out of the roof at least 1 meter. The accommodations, which are very well insulated inside, unfortunately lack fresh air from the outside. This generates an insignificant draw. This problem can be solved with air circulation in the firebox.
Large trees or tall buildings next to the house may have a negative impact on the strength of the draw.
The colder the street, the more powerful the draw.
The obstruction or narrowing of the flue, the poorly closed fire door, the air flow due to poor seals – all this has a negative impact on the draft.
Types of home chimney – brick or metal?
If you have decided to build a fireplace in your house, you can choose the type of hearth. It can be made of brick or metal pipes. Studies have shown that there is virtually no difference in the draw between the two materials. Therefore, you can choose one or the other option yourself.
Brick chimneys – advantages:
• One of the qualities of the brick is to reduce the cooling time of the smoke in the chimney. That is to say – keep the heat.
• The brick has the ability to accumulate heat and keep the house warm even when the fire is already extinguished.
• The brick house chimney can be built from an individual project.
• If the brick chimney is properly constructed, it may be more fire resistant than the metal one.
To slow down the cooling process, it is recommended that the conduit, made of metal or brick, be insulated.
Stove with metal flue – advantages:
• Easy to install.
• Possibility of slight adjustments, allowing flexibility in choosing the location of the house chimney.
• Thanks to the fluid curves of the pipes, acute angles can be avoided, which reduce the pulling force.
Rules for installing the chimney
• Use only non-combustible materials.
• Choose the upright direction for installing the house chimney. It is not desirable to put several appliances in the same chimney. This reduces the draw.
• Avoid exiting pipes to nearby buildings.
• Choose for the fireplace this place of the house, which naturally retains heat.
• The interior walls of the duct must be perfectly smooth and without obstacles.
• Gaskets must be tightly connected and any holes through which air may enter must be sealed
• The flue must be cleaned at least once a year.
Classic style home fireplace with mantel and spark arrester